[Freeciv-Dev] Re: autoconf2.5x patch

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: autoconf2.5x patch
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:21:00 +0200

I have tried the patch now.
There are some problems with it.
- The AC_MINGW32 stuff:
  You can check for $host_os=*-mingw32 (like it is recommended in the
  autoconf doc) but then
  export CC="gcc -mno-cygwin"
  ./configure
  does not configure the win32 stuff from a cygwin bash.
  cross compiling will still work in the usual way (with that check).
  The old AC_MINGW32 check checks if $CC defines something like
  __MINGW32__.
  The problem can be solved if CC="$CC -mno-cygwin" is set if
  $host_os=*cygwin* but that breaks compiling windows+X stuff.
  Of course, you can give a long line to configure. But I don't like
  doing that for a very ordinary thing.
- some more AC_SUBST() must be inserted (at least for CFLAGS, LDFLAGS)
  not only for the win32 stuff. So the patch has to be checked very intensively
- how to set localedir to a relative path?
  With autoconf2.13 you can say --prefix=.
  Then I usually do things like make DESTDIR=something install
  Is there a cleaner way to do it?

Will be autoconf a requirement for the next release?
AFAIK make dist will generate these auto-generated files.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade