[Freeciv-Dev] Re: I have written a new terrain generator

To: Helge Hafting <helgehaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: I have written a new terrain generator
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:10:46 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Helge Hafting wrote:
> I have written a new terrain generator, and wonder
> if there's any interest in testing it,
> and where I should send the files.

This is interesting. You should upload a tarball of the files to
ftp.freeciv.org in the directory pub/freeciv/incoming, and then let us
know, so that we can test it.

> The program is currently standalone, it
> reads a savegame to get some
> parameters like land percentage and
> then rewrites the terrain.  I wonder if it is
> interest in having it merged as another
> way of generating terrain?

Possibly. I'll have to see the code and what it outputs before I can say,
though.

> I can do it, but I will probably need some
> advice.  I haven't used CVS before, and
> there are some issues.  The current terrain
> generator do stuff like deleting small islands.
> I don't know why, it is easy enough to put
> the players on larger islands or perhaps
> give the "unlucky" ones a free trireme
> or something.

The problem with 1x1 size islands is that if you build a city there, it
cannot be invaded until the enemy can build Marines. That is not fair.
There is a server option to turn this off, though.

Yours,
Per

Ask not what you can do for your country
Ask what your country did to you
 -- KMFDM, Dogma