[Freeciv-Dev] Re: I have written a new terrain generator

To: Helge Hafting <helgehaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: I have written a new terrain generator
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:17:18 -0400

Karen Yeats was experimenting with something along this
line a year or so ago with a friend. If she sees this,
or you check the Freeciv mailing lists for her email, I
suspect she would be quite interested.

The corecleanup devapth also has a number of fairly
extensive changes to mapgen.c to enhance and make it
easier for the current generators to share certain
mk<feature> elements. Modular routines in this flavour
would almost certainly fit into the current system
and could be expanded on as rules based building blocks.

Temperature and wetness are high on the priority list of
extensions to make more geographically sensible maps.

Corecleanups use an "asteroid" rain analogy to build up
heightmaps with various localization techniques to bias
random hits by elevation, etc.

Thus there seem to be lots of parallel ideas in your
description and it would be quite interesting to see how
you have done the implementation.

There has also been some talk of reorganizing the map
generation to add at least a new generator capable of
fully dealing with the various topology patches, and
make generator addition much more modular in the process.
Finding people willing to make new generators or with
generators of their own with novel requirements might
kickstart this and get it moving again.

By all means upload your changes to freciv.org and post
a note, or put them someplace accessible. I for one will
be happy to have a look at them and post a review or
just send you comments if you prefer.

If the code is useful or there are useful elements, ideas
or potential and you are interested in pursuing this,
submitting your package or parts of it as patches would
be very useful and appreciated. Help from other developers
is almost always forthcoming on any problem areas if you
just ask, either on the list or by private email.

Cheers,
RossW
=====