[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compilation Problems

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compilation Problems
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 04:10:07 +0200

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 06:12:43PM +0200, Per I Mathisen wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Reinier Post wrote:
> > In general, aclocal pulls many things from m4 macros contributed by
> > individual software packages - for Freeciv, GNU gettext, GTK, and Imlib.
>
> Yes, and they should be in /usr/(local/)share/aclocal ... but only if you
> install -dev or source versions of these packages.

Yes.  But the purpose of aclocal is to generate tests for whether
or not these packages are present on the system.  I don't think
persons without X should be required to have X just because the test
whether X is included requires the presence of X.

> > Only if users of Freeciv CVS must be able to use aclocal without problems.
>
> Using aclocal is now a requirement for compiling cvs.

That's bad, unless aclocal actually requires only the things ./configure
will later find to be present.

--
Reinier