[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 100% Civ 2

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 100% Civ 2
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:06:44 -0400

At 01:45 AM 02/04/14 -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:

>--- "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> At 05:35 AM 02/04/13 -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
>> >I'm planning to make Freeciv completely rule for rule compatible with
Civ 2.
>> >I want to know what is currently not implemented. As far as I know:

>> >4.) Waste (Corruption for shields)
>>
>> This is the (complete) base implementation for civ2 rules (it is an exact
>> mimic of corruption :-). Needs an if(civ2flag) test.
>>
>> common/city.c
>>   pcity->corruption = city_corruption(pcity, pcity->trade_prod);
>>   pcity->trade_prod -= pcity->corruption;
>>
>>   /* TODO: Civ2 rules check */
>>   pcity->shield_waste = city_corruption(pcity, pcity->shield_prod);
>>   pcity->shield_prod -= pcity->shield_waste;
>>
>> Of course most of the work is doing the GUI displays to add teh extra
>> info and damaged pictures.
>
>Not a chance. I'll leave that to Daniel.

I suspect that having it working, and having it visible are both
preconditions for CVS, but it would be nice if just the first were
the case with it effectively turned off unless you knew the arcane
spell to activate it :-).

>I have to ask. Does any obliging Freeciver have the exact formula for
>corruption
>and waste? If not, I'll have to take Ross' approach.

The biggest missing piece in Civ2 compatibility is a global as opposed
to per city component to corruption and waste. This could be done as a
constant factor added to the current calculations based on city count,
or a true distributed horizontal population count count (i.e. fraction
of total pop count in this city), as opposed to just current vertical
population count that biases the game heavily in favour of smallpox
growth.

>Aloha,
>RK.
>
>It is against the law for a monster to enter the corporate limits of
Urbana, Illinois.