[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] autogen.sh #2

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] autogen.sh #2
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:31:15 +0200

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 11:53:46AM +0200, per@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > Attached is a second version of the autogen.sh patch. This is a
> > modified version of a patch Per has sent me (Per: I have removed bash
> > specific features, s|/bin/bash|/bin/sh| and added the exact version
> > matching). Please apply this to your system and test (just run
> > ./autogen.sh and report success or errors).
>
> I think we should drop the "-a -c" parameters give to automake, and then
> downgrade the requirements to version 1.3 (1.3 won't work with these two
> parameters). "-a -c" merely create missing files. We don't have missing
> files, so.
>
> With that change, I managed to make it work on a Solaris boxen, with the
> --disable-nls option.
>
> Tested on FreeBSD 4.4, and it failed because of missing autoconf2.13, as
> it should. autoconf didn't work there, either, so this is the correct
> behaviour, and autogen.sh gave better error message.
>
> Hmmm... this is going to be bitchy for those who don't have autoconf2.13
> any more... what time table do you want for 2.13 -> 2.52 conversion,
> Raimar?

Redhat 6.2 (from two years ago) contains automake 1.4. Redhat 7.2 (the
newest version) contains automake 1.4 and autoconf 2.13. So I don't
see why we should support automake version 1.3 (this version really
old). Also autoconf 2.52 will take some time to soak into all
installations (if Redhat includes the new version in its new
release). So from my point of view we should use automake 1.4 and
autoconf 2.13 for the next year.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters