[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Activeunits patch 3

To: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Activeunits patch 3
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:16:23 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Daniel L Speyer wrote:

> Well, now that everybody's forgotten about it, here's the next version of
> the activeunits patch.  The change-all dialog is improved and the buttons
> have been rearanged for superior aesthetics and consistency.  Furthermore,
> the code has been cleaned up extensively.
>
> Enjoy!

I updated it so it applies to freeciv-test cleanly and to freeciv almost
cleanly.  You should probably do a proper updating with making functions
"static" if they should be...

I am not a GUI person, so I only tested it.  From testing my comments are:

1. Maybe add "Wake fortified" and "Wake all" buttons.

2. To enable the buttons you probably check if there are any sentried
units ...*testing*... no you don't.  I think you should, and write the
number of the units next to the button (or give this info in some other
way).

3. Same with change building, the number should be probably displayed next
to the button (although it is already displayed in the main thing).

4. When you do a popup with change-building-to, maybe you can list the
affected cities (maybe even with checkboxes).

Anyway, I like the patch, but I severely dislike the idea of not being in
full control as to what units should be woken up and where...  I
understand that making these menus would be a lot of work, but I think
it's worth it.

So ideally, I see it as you press a button (Change Building / Wake XXX)
and you are given popup menu with
1. the locations of all sentried units (or units being built)
2. a checkbox next to each (initially checked)
3. for Change Building --- list of possible builds
4. and two buttons: Wake (Change) and Cancel

And why not put it into freeciv-test?

Of course you can dismiss my proposal as being too much bother for so
little fame...

Best wishes,
G.