[Freeciv-Dev] Re: documentation patch to units.ruleset

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: documentation patch to units.ruleset
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 03:09:35 -0800 (PST)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > >  ; fuel          = number of turns, for air units
> >
> > It is not just number of turns, for barbarian units it is the lifetime.
> Also,
> > have to mention that when air units run out of fuel they crash.
>
> I'll try to get around to documenting more parts of units.ruleset soon.

Ok.

> > > +; "IgTer"        - ignore terrain like explorers
> >
> > Better as treat every tile as 1/3 move cost.
>
> Ok.
>
> > > +; "Carrier"      - can transport air units, but not land units
> >
> > Make it clear that air units include missiles.
>
> Yes. And Carrier and Missile_Carrier are mutually exclusive. That is a bit
> dumb, though.

Dumb is like saying a hurricane is like a stiff breeze. It's the understatement
of the year. What's even dumber is that Carrier can carry aircraft AND misiles,
whereas a Missile_Carrier carries only missiles. It would make more sense for
both flags to be capable of being used together. Carrier allows a unit to carry
aircraft, missile allows missile units. Simple and clear.

> > > +; "Diplomat"     - can do diplomat actions
> >
> > Probably mention dipl chance here.
>
> Ok.
>
> > > +; "Spy"          - can do even more diplomat actions
> >
> > Mention what those actions are.
>
> Ok.
>
> > > +; "No_Land_Attack" - (sea only) cannot attack targets on land
> >
> > Is it impossible to make an air unit with no land_attack?
>
> No_Land_Attack means no attacks against any target on land. If you use
> this on an aircraft, it would not be able to attack enemy aircraft _as
> long as they are over dry land_. Well, you _could_ make a torpedo bomber
> using this, though... but it could not attack ships inside cities...
> I'll clarify the comment.
>
> But why can't subs (and other hypothetical units with No_Land_Attack)
> attack ships in cities? I think this should be changed.  Should I add a
> FIXME?

Yes, I think so. Per, this is another in the category of "Why didn't I think
of that?"