[Freeciv-Dev] Re: documentation patch to units.ruleset

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: documentation patch to units.ruleset
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:41:00 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> >  ; fuel          = number of turns, for air units
>
> It is not just number of turns, for barbarian units it is the lifetime. Also,
> have to mention that when air units run out of fuel they crash.

I'll try to get around to documenting more parts of units.ruleset soon.

> > +; "IgTer"  - ignore terrain like explorers
>
> Better as treat every tile as 1/3 move cost.

Ok.

> > +; "Carrier"        - can transport air units, but not land units
>
> Make it clear that air units include missiles.

Yes. And Carrier and Missile_Carrier are mutually exclusive. That is a bit
dumb, though.

> > +; "Diplomat"       - can do diplomat actions
>
> Probably mention dipl chance here.

Ok.

> > +; "Spy"            - can do even more diplomat actions
>
> Mention what those actions are.

Ok.

> > +; "No_Land_Attack" - (sea only) cannot attack targets on land
>
> Is it impossible to make an air unit with on land_attack?

No_Land_Attack means no attacks against any target on land. If you use
this on an aircraft, it would not be able to attack enemy aircraft _as
long as they are over dry land_. Well, you _could_ make a torpedo bomber
using this, though... but it could not attack ships inside cities...
I'll clarify the comment.

But why can't subs (and other hypothetical units with No_Land_Attack)
attack ships in cities? I think this should be changed.  Should I add a
FIXME?

Yours,
Per

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch."
 -- Jack Nicholson