[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Economy report (PR#1307)

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Economy report (PR#1307)
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:26:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Jason Short wrote:

> Ben Webb wrote:
> >     That'd be nice, except that then Freeciv would fail to build on
> > an Alpha...
>
> Raimar means it for local compilation, i.e.
>
>    make CFLAGS="-Wshadow -Werror"

        "Local" compilation? My local machine is an Alpha, so this still
wouldn't work. ;)

> have imagined there were a lot of other shadowed variables causing
> things not to compile at all like this, but maybe Raimar's fixed these now.

        The main problem on Alpha is not shadowed variables, but current
builds churn out buckets of warnings from code that assumes sizeof(int) ==
sizeof(void *). (gui-gtk is the main offender here.) There is also the
assumption that sizeof(int) == sizeof(size_t), mainly in the agents code,
IIRC. Adding -Werror would change these to errors, and cause the build to
fail.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/