[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ngettext test (CVS Snapshots)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ngettext test (CVS Snapshots)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:36:35 +0100

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:18:21AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:

> > > available is
> > > Whoever
>
> [...]
>
> > > If the problem hasn't been resolved tomorrow, please call again.
> >
> > It's tomorrow. Ring ring ;).
>
> OK, so it was a different bug, namely this:
>
> 23:46:26 Doing the cvs up.
> 23:46:53 Building the cvs file.
> 23:57:14 Building the freeciv.pot.bz2 and *.po.bz2 files.
> 00:01:09 Could not configure (missing po/Makefile).
>
> It has been aborting on error here since Feb 5th, when Raimar made
> ./configure look for the 'ngettext' executable rather than 'gettext'.
> It is an error to rely on filenames for version identification.
> www.freeciv.org has an old GNU 'gettext' and a non-GNU 'gettext',
> but no 'ngettext'.  My FreeBSD box has an old GNU 'gettext'
> and an up-to-date GNU 'ngettext-new', but no 'ngettext'.

We don't check for a ngettext binary. We check for a ngettext
function.

> The command
>
>   : | $gettext -V 2>/dev/null | awk '{print $NF; exit}'
>
> returns "-V" on Solaris gettext, and the version number on GNU gettext,
> so it may be a good test to check if $gettext is useable.
> To cover all my platforms, at least 'gettext', 'ngettext' and
> 'ngettext-new' would have to be tried.

Output from ./configure --with-included-gettext at cvs.freeciv.org:
checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yes
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking whether included gettext is requested... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
found xgettext program is not GNU xgettext; ignore it
checking for bison... bison
checking version of bison... 1.28, ok
checking for catalogs to be installed...  da de en_GB es fi fr hu it ja nl no
pl pt pt_BR ro ru sv
checking for GNU xgettext version >= 0.10.38... no
configure: warning: You may have problems with creating pox files. Please
update your gettext package.
checking for GNU msgfmt version >= 0.10.35... no
configure: error: You are unable to create *.gmo files.
This is development version which doesn't include them. Please update your
gettext package. We recommend you versions >= 0.10.38. Or use
--disable-nls instead.

So a msgfmt binary which can handle the plurals is missing.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "- Amiga Y2K fixes (a bit late, wouldn't you say?)"