[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] Re: Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] Re: Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:37:46 +0100

At 01-03-02 10:47 -0400, you wrote:
That is a truly weird power to attribute to a massive Ceremonial Burial
and/or Astronomical edifice. The population reverts to eating the
mummified dead in emergencies, perhaps? Hmmm, if so then the missing

Wow, that one never would have occurred to me. More the reason to put the code in place and let people come with the neat ideas :-)

predicting the cycles of the Nile, or that Biblical character who advised
the Pharoahs about the seven good years and seven bad years and thus
convinced him to build granaries.

What about you're only allowed to build a WoW if several random prerequisites are met? There would be no straightforward path to excellence and domination. You'll need to be ready to jump on the opportunity when presented with it.

Better for the Pyramids might be to count as a Temple in every city. The

Let the WoWs effects be configurable, as well as their names. It's been suggested before.

university. All the buildings are minor wonders. But I was simply making

Hhmmm, well thought.

astronomy Wonder. Possibly there should be two maps, each thinking itself
the only World thus having its own Wonders, until some Expedition wonder
causes the maps to be joined. Although that kindof leaves out the use of
papyrus rafts to cross the Pacific way way back before the Trireme.

Definitely astounding what could happen when the two maps (two independent games in the server until that moment?) joined. No need to wait for the Expedition wonder. Just let some really lucky trirremes dare the chances of a 50-turn trip on uncharted ocean with no way to know where the connecting point to the other game lies...

Yeah, some of the large Egyptian temples were made on account of some
Pharoah or other who wanted to establish Monotheism, or at least make one
of the Gods dominate all the others. So maybe they were Cathedrals or

Which goes to prove that the enlightened leader not always succeeds and may in fact succeed in some unexpected ways, other than intended.

attempts at Cathedrals. Or Sistine Chapels / Places where Bach played the
organ (or whatever Bach did at some Church or other, what the heck is
that one about anyway? World's largest Pipe Organ maybe?) type of places.

Bach claimed he was merely the loudspeaker of God's own music. Pretty powerful and inspiring concept when you listen to that music. (but please bear in mind that rock did not exist back then!!!!)

Couple that with the love of armies for music and you get something worth evolving...

spot too, another case of repeating a Wonder much later in history? Maybe

Of course. Maybe in the genes, after all.

in there. Maybe there should be National Wonders as well as World Wonders,

Yes, that would fit my idea.

maaybe each religion needs a big main shrine. The Pyramids or the
Necropolis may have been for their cultures what the Oracle (or the
Mysteries) was to its culture.

Yes, and if their WoW is too ugly to your eyes, go smash them.

There is actually a book titled "Entropy", I dont recall the author, in
which it is argued that nearly all of what we like to think of as
"progress" was in fact disaster upon disaster, basically entropy. It is
eurocentric, and points out that the steam engine was developed by Hero or
thereabouts (500 bc or so?) but did not become economically viable
compared to slaves until we dug below the water table mining for coal.
Which we did because we burned all our forests. But using coal made wagons
of fuel heavier, tearing up the roads. So we built tougher roads to allow
the heavier vehicles. But we started to run out of coal, so we were forced
to use oil. But oil too became a problem, etc etc etc...

Scary train of thoughts, but even so, after all we got from the trees to the moon, so why not?

The Great Library was destroyed, not obsoleted.

It would have been fit instant wrath of whatever God to whoever was responsible of that... :-(

Not sure about the Collosus

Most likely national pride as well as fine defensive system for its builders.

 and the Lighthouse, but the Lighthouse's claim to fame may have
been "World's Tallest Building" like the World Trade Centre, rather than
any major effect upon seafaring. If a normal lighthouse was a city

It was not the building (it was not in fact the tallest) but the concept. Merely by allowing seafarers to orient themselves with its light there was a huge boost in security and speed of travel. Mind you, no compass, no radio, cloudy nights, imperfect calendars and clocks, no other night lights, poor maps... its impact was HUGE, so the idea spread like wilfire, and more power to the builders.

then maybe the Geo-Positioning System is the modern remake of it, and
before that some kind of radio beacon system.

Just the idea, I believe.

Actually that one *is* a little weird to restrict to one nation.

Heh, I was thinking more of a weird or even offensive name. If you're a Democracy and have Women's Suffrage and your rival is a stinking fundie and has the same under the name "apartheid" it can bee too much to bear for you, so you declare them war.

But you got me to think about what if you could build a WoW with the effect you fancied, just you have only a few of these? Wisely invested, one of those could get you the necessary edge to beat or at least balance the WoWs of your enemies...

Just the 0.02E