[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] Re: Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] Re: Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:22:41 +0100

At 28-02-02 23:08 -0400, you wrote:
Huh? Then how come the Astronomy Wonder isn't Stonehenge aka the Giant's Dance?

That would be cool, having each WoW named and portraited differently according to who and when built it. Also, that more than one tribe could build their version of same WoW.

Not to mention all the goodies the Chinese and maybe Indians ought
to have had quite early. I hear rumours that a city from 5000 or so BC was
found off the coast of India recently but maybe thats just urban myth?

Dunno. You can still look at Angkor Vat, the ancient Khmer city in Cambodia.

Possibly something to do with philosophy/religion. I have always thought
Civ treats that area too cavalierly. It may well be that something along
those lines should lead toward civilisations with minuses on war but
conceivably accompanied by tendencies not to bother going to war with
them. Maybe converting people instead of conquering them or something.

The techs "philosophy" and "religion" could be split further into parallel lines, paths that some tribes would explore to the full, others not necessarily so.

That's one of the reasons why I liked when enemy cities converted to the luxurious lifestile of my tribe. You can stop a Diplomat, but how do you stop your cities "revolting" to a more "civilized" enemy?

I notice in the ancients modpack leadership is how Monotheism is
developed, and may possibly also derive from having a national epic or
myth.

Heh, the Aztecs had that. The expected their hairy gods to come lead them. What they got was hairy spanish conquerors, so their myth betrayed them. But what if they had got hairy good leaders instead?

I notice also that the statue of liberty is attributed with quite an
epic power/ability. A good thing the terrorists didnt hit that instead of
the trade towers eh? I had always considered it a Colossus and thus as
evidence that after enough time has passed since the demise of a Wonder it
can be built again.

Agreed 100%. Besides, it's built on a really big commercial port, so the parallel is good for me.

That power made more sense for the ancient Pyramids than for
the Statue of Liberty,

WoW names can be misleading. Add more WoWs?

 even though it probably is true that The States is
quite capable of reverting to a Despotism quite swiftly.

If their capitol city or their happiness-generating WoWs are taken, their empire revolts and splits, like every other Civ tribe.

Read Harry Harrison's East of Eden (West of Eden?) trilogy. If the mammals
hadn't lucked out due to a disaster - and freeciv does not yet *have*
disasters - things maybe could have turned out different.

That's why I like to think about it. Amazing.

There's another series by Harry Turtledove about ET reptilians battling it out against WWII nations. Sure there are many others.

Possible disasters: plague, stolen productivity, volcanoes, with some "intensity knob" of course!

My 0.02E