[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] Re: Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] Re: Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:11:12 -0400 (AST)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, aliaga wrote:

> At 28-02-02 23:08 -0400, you wrote:
> >Huh? Then how come the Astronomy Wonder isn't Stonehenge aka the Giant's
> >Dance?
>
> That would be cool, having each WoW named and portraited differently
> according to who and when built it. Also, that more than one tribe could
> build their version of same WoW.

That last would defeat the idea of its being a Wonder of the World. My
point was that a lot more people have probably heard of, perhaps even
visited, Stonehenge, over many more centuries, than ever even knew that
some Italian chap who rediscovered parts of astronomy thousands of years
later still has his lab on display as a tourist attraction. Stonehenge was
a wonder of the *really ancient* world, before the so called wonders of
the ancient world came along. Egyptian and Greek temples were also aligned
by astronomy, it seems to havbe became quite fashionable sometime around
2500 through 1500 B.C although the book "How the Shaman Stole the Moon"
also discusses how most of the old tribes of North America - at least the
vanished ones like the Anasazi - used notches in canyon edges and such as
well as buildings. Basically astronomy was such an ancient develoment that
the Wonder associated with it is far too modernistic and relates to a
rediscovery after the Dark Ages rather than to original discovery.

> The techs "philosophy" and "religion" could be split further into parallel
> lines, paths that some tribes would explore to the full, others not
> necessarily so.
>
> That's one of the reasons why I liked when enemy cities converted to the
> luxurious lifestile of my tribe. You can stop a Diplomat, but how do you
> stop your cities "revolting" to a more "civilized" enemy?

How do you *get* enemy cities to come over to you like that? In Civ1 I had
it happen in "Prince level difficulty" once when I tried that level to see
what it did, but I usually played "Emperor" level as our in-house standard
was earth map, 7 civs, Emperor difficulty, so that we could all compare
how well we did despite not having multiplayer. Is it something that only
happens at "easy" levels of play? Or does it just take higher levels of
rep at higher difficulty levels? It sounds like it may have good
potential, especially, as you point out, against smallpox tactics.

> >I notice in the ancients modpack leadership is how Monotheism is
> >developed, and may possibly also derive from having a national epic or
> >myth.
>
> Heh, the Aztecs had that. The expected their hairy gods to come lead them.
> What they got was hairy spanish conquerors, so their myth betrayed them.
> But what if they had got hairy good leaders instead?

Some chancy developments could be interesting. Some techs that may turn
good or bad, do your research and take your chances. Will your Cathedrals
bring happiness or centuries of Dark Age?

> >I notice also that the statue of liberty is attributed with quite an
> >epic power/ability. A good thing the terrorists didnt hit that instead of
> >the trade towers eh? I had always considered it a Colossus and thus as
> >evidence that after enough time has passed since the demise of a Wonder it
> >can be built again.
>
> Agreed 100%. Besides, it's built on a really big commercial port, so the
> parallel is good for me.

> >That power made more sense for the ancient Pyramids than for
> >the Statue of Liberty,
>
> WoW names can be misleading. Add more WoWs?

Possibly name them more generically. I'd also like to see some Wonders for
the Modern era, such as The Internet, which functions pretty much akin to
the Great Library, another example of a Wonder that was destroyed
re-arising centuries later. A "World Food Bank" or "End World Hunger
Project" would be good too, maybe acting as a Food Bank (granary) in all
cities throughout the world instead of within one nation. (I implement
some of these ideas in my Proxima Centuri modpack. Communism required.).

> >  even though it probably is true that The States is
> >quite capable of reverting to a Despotism quite swiftly.
>
> If their capitol city or their happiness-generating WoWs are taken, their
> empire revolts and splits, like every other Civ tribe.

Actually I was thinking of "War Measures Acts" and so on. Canada didnt
seem to have much problem reverting during the Quebequoi (sp?) "crisis".

BB
MM

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/