Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: City dialog too large

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: City dialog too large
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:12:34 -0500

Egbert Hinzen wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 06:53:20PM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:

In the german translation the new city dialog has a width of 754 while
the english one has a width of 570. This has annoyed me for a long
time. The attached patch shows the increase of the translation of
strings which are used in the city dialog.

The problem is known, the reason not.

BTW: As rule by the thumb German translations of English texts are about
one third bigger (570 * 1.33 = 758)...

This means that the german translation of 'Show future targets' is 28
chars longer than the original.

But this doesn't harm, does it?

I don't like it, too, but I don't see any problem...

It turns out that 'Disband if build
settler at size 1' is the problem. If it is shortened the dialog will
also get a width of 570. Since I noticed that the dialog is also
bigger in the Dutch translation I attached the patch.

I shortened the German text by 6 signs. Does this solve the "problem"?

Is it possible to insert newlines into the translations?

This could probably help with some of the button texts.

jason