Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] loading rulesets 2 (PR#1272)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] loading rulesets 2 (PR#1272)
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 16:04:00 -0600

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 08:36:04PM +0100, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > this is a bit out of my present experience, so it may be better for
> > Raimar
>
> Raimar said pretty much the same thing :(

Hmm. ok, it doesn't appear horribly complicated, so I'll take a look, but
I have a lot on my plate at this moment. Send me a complete patch, and
if you don't see any movement on this by week after next, send me a
reminder.

> >, but I do have a few questions (for starters):
> >
> > 1. So what's the status of Civ1 compatibility post-patch?
>
> Unchanged.
>
> > 2. If unchanged, what was the original point of /data/classic, and why
> > is it now redundant.
>
> The original point, I believe, was to achieve 100% savegame compatibility
> with savegames older than 1.9.0. Notice that data/classic/ only contains
> terrain.ruleset, it has nothing to do with civ1, AFAIK.
>
> It was in 1.9.0 that terrain.ruleset was introduced, and the
> data/classic/terrain.ruleset preserves the pre-1.9.0 terrain for pre-1.9.0
> savegames. This is what NEWS says about it:
>
>  - New ruleset support for TERRAIN, and changes to allow Civ2 style
>    terrain with more specials, multi-terrain rivers, and new farmland
>    infrastructure.  Moved some server options into terrain ruleset,
>    and added new rule option regarding movement along rivers.
>
> It is redundant because pre-1.9.0 savegames are now so rare (if at all in
> existence, let alone use), that we can afford not to support them 100%.
>
> I simply do not know what happens if you load a pre-1.9.0 savegame. I
> don't have one, so I can't test. I do not believe it would crash or
> otherwise become unplayable, but that's mostly intuition.

check out a 1.8.x CVS copy, and make one and then see what happens. I'm
just curious. If this is the reason, however, I won't care so much that
it disappears.

Perhaps a tangential question, why is T_RIVER still around? For the same
reason? Anyone?

> > 3. I'm only slightly warming to the idea that I can't pick individual
> > files. I've got to now pick a directory, and if I want to change a file,
> > I have to dump the rest into a new directory to test it?
>
> No. You just drop the file you want to change into a new directory, then
> tell civserver "--config mynewdir". All the ruleset files it doesn't find
> in your new directory, it loads it from default/ instead.

Hmm. Is there any reason _not_ to do this? Anyone? Ruleset people?

-mike