Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] loading rulesets 2 (PR#1272)

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] loading rulesets 2 (PR#1272)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:36:04 +0100 (MET)

Raimar said pretty much the same thing :(

>, but I do have a few questions (for starters):
>
> 1. So what's the status of Civ1 compatibility post-patch?

Unchanged.

> 2. If unchanged, what was the original point of /data/classic, and why
> is it now redundant.

The original point, I believe, was to achieve 100% savegame compatibility
with savegames older than 1.9.0. Notice that data/classic/ only contains
terrain.ruleset, it has nothing to do with civ1, AFAIK.

It was in 1.9.0 that terrain.ruleset was introduced, and the
data/classic/terrain.ruleset preserves the pre-1.9.0 terrain for pre-1.9.0
savegames. This is what NEWS says about it:

 - New ruleset support for TERRAIN, and changes to allow Civ2 style
   terrain with more specials, multi-terrain rivers, and new farmland
   infrastructure.  Moved some server options into terrain ruleset,
   and added new rule option regarding movement along rivers.

It is redundant because pre-1.9.0 savegames are now so rare (if at all in
existence, let alone use), that we can afford not to support them 100%.

I simply do not know what happens if you load a pre-1.9.0 savegame. I
don't have one, so I can't test. I do not believe it would crash or
otherwise become unplayable, but that's mostly intuition.

> 3. I'm only slightly warming to the idea that I can't pick individual
> files. I've got to now pick a directory, and if I want to change a file,
> I have to dump the rest into a new directory to test it?

No. You just drop the file you want to change into a new directory, then
tell civserver "--config mynewdir". All the ruleset files it doesn't find
in your new directory, it loads it from default/ instead.

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli