Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Help me

To: Pbl410cdrw@xxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Help me
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:12:50 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 Pbl410cdrw@xxxxxx wrote:

>     I would like help on how to make my own freeciv modpack and or tileset.

Well, I don't know much about modpacks, but I guess I'm currently the
authority on new tilesets ;).  So, some advice:

The relevant files are probably in /usr/local/share/freeciv.  The format
should be self-explanatory, but keep in mind that there's more absolute
addressing then you'd expect.

Start with an existing tilest of the right size and shape.  This will get
you a complete list of sprites (remembering them all is impractical) and
the correct shapes and dimensions for all of them.  Resizing a tileset is
a *lot* of work, so don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

Check out tilesets that exist.  Copying and modifying are usually faster
and better than creating from scratch, and everything's GPL.  Check out
speyer1-b.student.umd.edu/chooseset for a list with screenshots
(note: some overhead sets are omitted, check freeciv.org's tileset page
for them) (note: freeciv.org's tileset page isn't complete either, those
which are missing are probably on ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming).

In testing tilesets, the most general approach is to load up a saved game
and look at it.  For specific terrain-related features, set the relevant
server-variables on a new game and then disband your units.  When you are
ready for serious testing, play an entire game under the set.

Make sure your sprites are visually distinctive.  It should be possible to
tell the units apart by shape alone (test this in gimp by previewing
extremes on the hue/saturation transform).  Watch your color balance; try
to keep that varied.  Try to look at your set "as a newbie" to see if it's
clear what things are -- everyone who uses your set will be a newbie to it
at first.  Find someone else to run it by if you can.  Consider
creating an artistic theme for your work (realism, anime,
gothic, ...), though if you do not pick one, it may develop anyway,
and perhaps more truthfully.  Note that all the advice in this paragraph
is more artistic than technical or practical, so feel free to disregard it
if you think you know better.  Good work follows the rules; great work
breaks them -- correctly.

I hope some of this is helpful.  Good luck on whatever you do!

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."