Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: agent assertion failed (PR#1259)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: agent assertion failed (PR#1259)
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 05:28:33 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 03:31:05AM -0800, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > CVS 11 FEB 2002 12:00 CET GTK+ Linux i386
> >
> > chris@max:~> LANG= civclient -t trident
> > civclient: agents.c:340: agents_game_joined: Assertion
> > Has_capability("turn", aconnection.capability)' failed.
> > Abgebrochen (core dumped)
> > chris@max:~>
>
> Are you sure that you used a recent server? The agents won't work with
> stock 1.12.0.

        This code shouldn't be triggered with a stock 1.12.0 server
anyway, since it's called from client/packhand.c as:-

  if (strcmp(s_capability, our_capability) == 0) {
    agents_game_joined();
    return;
  }

i.e. only if the capabilities match. Incidentally, this causes major
problems with FreecivAC, or in fact anything that adds extra capabilities.
Since the capabilities will no longer match when using (e.g.) a FreecivAC
client with a Freeciv server, agents_game_joined() will never be called.
Since this would have called freeze(), an assert failure occurs pretty
quickly when Freeciv tries to trigger the corresponding thaw(). Oh dear...

(I was going to suggest playing with FREECIV_CAPS to reproduce this
behaviour, but unfortunately I can't start a game at all with current CVS.
Looks like the same problem that Christian has observed - the reason why
it occurs is that at that point in the code both s_capability and
our_capability are blank strings - but why, I don't know...)

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."