[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isotrident 2

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isotrident 2
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:09:06 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Jules Bean wrote:
> One possible solution would be to have configure check for libpng and
> convert (imagemagick). If *both* are found, then it converts all the
> xpms to pngs and builds the PNG version of the clients.  This would be
> nice for debian systems, where most users don't compile from source,
> but install the binaries (which would be rather smaller with pngs)

No way. Imagemagick is an unnecessary requirement to add, and if xpm is
used as source, you will lose the alpha channel.

Much better to include both xpms and pngs in the source distribution and
cvs, and then only "make install" those that are needed. Then binary
packages can include whatever format is relevant (AFAIK all could use
png).

But I think adding a requirement for libpng is better still. AFAIK, it
compiles on all platforms which freeciv compiles on (ansi C) and the only
mandatory requirement it has which freeciv hasn't is zlib (it is optional
in freeciv), and zlib is pretty much universal (required by gzip).

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli