[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CVS's civserver core dumps

To: "Pieter J. Kersten" <kersten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CVS's civserver core dumps
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:27:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Pieter J. Kersten wrote:

> Whenever you try to build a city in the latest CVS version, the server
> core dumps. See the following backtrace.

        By "whenever" I take it you mean under all circumstances. I can't
reproduce this bug with brief testing with latest CVS (GTK+ isometric or
Xaw client, server with standard options, one human player). Could you be
more specific?

        Both this crash and the client crash reported by Paul seem to be
caused by the generalised improvements code that Vasco committed yesterday
and today. However, it is very different from my original code, so it's
entirely possible that the changes have introduced bugs. Can you reproduce
these crashes with the original impr-gen patches "effect-init-v2.patch"
and "effect-implement-v2.patch" against CVS of Jan 8th? (They obviously
won't apply against current CVS.) The patches are available at
http://freecivac.sourceforge.net/ or alternatively as PR#1140 and PR#1142.
If so, then I will investigate further.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"There is but one step from the grotesque to the horrible."