[Freeciv-Dev] [Kde-games-devel] Re: libadvkdegames (was qt)

To: kde-games-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [Kde-games-devel] Re: libadvkdegames (was qt)
From: Andreas Beckermann <b_mann@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:41:32 +0100

On Friday 28 December 2001 18:23, Gregor Zeitlinger wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > On Wednesday December 26, 2001 03:15, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa
wrote:
> > > If you do want to make a QT client port, IMHO you should make it for
> > > KDE and dispel any other porting considerations you may have.
> >
> > Plus there are multiple KDE developers who would be more than happy to
> > help. :-)
>
> Interesting: That's something I was thinking of as well. Maybe this would
> be a good idea for freeciv 2. I was looking into kde games development a
> little bit. Boson was one of the projects that attracted my attention. It
> is a mulitiplayer, client-server archtecture and has maps and units, too.
> That fact that it's real-time shouldn't matter too much. The web page was
> over a year old, though the KDE news tells me that the developers are
> still active...

This has two reasons
1. We have some problems with the cronjob that should update from cvs
2. I'm a coder - no webdesigner.

> Anyways, since both projects (and possibly much more) have such a broad
> base in common, it might be worth developing a library for it (maybe on

There is one: KGame. It's in libkdegames and is aimed at all types of games
(realtime as well as turn based). Boson now uses it.
You can find it in kdegames/libkdegames of the current CVS as well as the KDE
3 (Alpha and Beta) releases.

> top of anther one like ACE?) The server part should be independent from
> the Qt GUI (that's what the Boson developers wanted as well), the client
> can be Qt, I think. I hope the Boson develpers are on this list...

I'm afraid this is not possible with KGame, as it is extremely QT based.

> The hope is to make development of complex games easier and to get more
> people to the common code. Maybe this is also the way to bring back
> FreecivAC and the like back to Civ. The best we can hope for, IMHO, is the
> get freeciv into standard KDE distributions thus reaching a much broader
> audience. If combined with the GGZ (gnu gaming zone), it should make for a
> nice replacement for MS gaming zone and the like....

Yes, this would indeed be great.

CU
Andi