[Freeciv-Dev] Re: XML

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: XML
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:59:07 +0100

On 2001-12-06 23:37:01, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Petr Baudis wrote:
> > > That is neater.  XML is more verbose, certainly.
> > Excessively verbose I would say. I just don't think XML is good for
> > everything.
> > This is not the case where XML would give any huge benefit.
>
> I've done a bit XML and XSLT (XML transformations) for my employer, and I
> agree that it is extremely verbose for what it does, _but_ I also think
> that freeciv would be much better off with XML than any arcane flex/bison
> or homebrewed solution. Users are getting familiar with XML (if nothing
> else, then through HTML), and using XSLT it is possible to do pretty tasty
> things without learning arcane unix tools (sorry). It is also the most
> multiplatform solution there is.
>
> Things you can do with the rulesets with XSLT off the top of my head:
>  - automagically create documentation for modpacks
>  - automagically create tech trees from modpacks
>  - edit them in Emacs and other XML editors with validation
>  - run syntax validation tools on any platform or through a web page
>
> But I think whoever takes on the daunting task of fixing the improvements
> code should get the final say in this :)

Ok, I don't have the time to actually dig into this now but I thought
I'd just mention this in case you just forgot about it... :)

What about the unification of rulesets and server variables??
XML doesn't seem very appropriate considering this...

For the record: I'd still like to see something sql-inspired... :)

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)