[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Please vote!

To: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Please vote!
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 18:28:06 +0100

Dear diary, on Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 06:15:47PM CET, I got a letter, where
Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx> told me, that...
> > where Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx> told me, that...
> > > the rationalization behind code nazism is to make all the code look the
> > > same.
>
> On Monday 03 December 2001 12:11 pm, Petr Baudis wrote:
> > so don't accept patches which will make the code readable and
> > understandable, and they will help making it same, but won't make it
> > exactly same, leaving this work to further time for someone more bored than
> > the author of patch was?
>
> right...
>
> i like the idea of community code reviews. if the format is incompatible with
> the code standard, make the author rewrite it so it is. i think that should
> be any part of a solid development model. maybe integration could be a voting
> issue of the community on whether or not to include patches, assuming they
> pass the code review.
i disagree here. then we will get stuck where we are forever. maybe for your
project not, as you will have clean police from the very start and hopefully
won't ever need any cleanup patches, but being so strict for current is
suicide. if it cleans at least someething, i would accept it :-).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv hacking
.
  "A common mistake that people make, when trying to design
   something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
   ingenuity of complete fools."
     -- Douglas Adams in Mostly Harmless
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/