[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Please vote!

To: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Please vote!
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:13:50 -0500

On Monday 03 December 2001 11:02 am, Petr Baudis wrote:
> Yes, but I wouldn't be so pedantic, and if it doesn't really violate the
> rules a lot, I would accept it anyway. General rule should be that 'it is
> reasonably readable', that means the code is understandable. Then someone
> else who is unhappy with minor violence with the rules may go and clean it
> up even more, however this can do nearly anybody then, when he knows what
> the code does and it's sufficiently commented. The guys who are actually
> able to decrypt the code and convert it to *anything* understandable aren't
> very frequent here, so they should be really used to decrypting the code,
> and not to spend their time with useless complaints and arguing about "if
> (bla ||\n vs. if (bla\n ||". Once the code is readable, everyone can do
> that. Not everyone can be able to get the code into readable state.

the rationalization behind code nazism is to make all the code look the same.
it's a real pain in the ass to try to sort thru 50 different people's coding
styles. there should be some degree of flexibility allowed but in general,
things like comments, code blocks (structs, enums, ifs, functions),
tabulation, naming convention and parenthetical spacing should be
standardized. it's what gives souce code a cohesive look instead of a bunch
of hackers dropping code in willy-nilly (i can't believe i just used that
term. i'm sooo lame).