[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI strategy

To: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI strategy
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:31:18 +0100

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 02:45:01PM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:

> > > True, however the civbot won't be able to cheat. Otherwise we have no mean
> > > to distinguish player and civbot, so players can cheat too, and that's
> > > bad.
> >
> > A non-cheating AI is ok. It may also be possible to set the "transfer the
> > whole map to player xyz" flag through a server command.
> It's questionable how well it will perform :-). We shouldn't remove the
> server-side AI until AI-AI diplomacy will be at least partially done, as
> civbot
> will otherwise be even more easy for expierenced players, IMHO. The flag is
> nice,

> only unlimited rates are remaining issue where AI cheats IIRC.

Add another flag.

> However it should be able to survive w/o them. Anyway, should be
> civbot coded from scratch (feel even anyone here like doing that?
> please stand up :) or copied^Winspired by current AI?

The CMA _was_ inspired by the current AI. But there was no line of
code transfered (copied).

> Another issue, what about observing AI? Tuning behaviour and
> debugging will be a lot harder w/o that.

This is one of the reason that these code parts will be available to
the human player as advisers. You can debug them easier. But I agree
that tuning any AI is hard.

> > > Anyway, if server has to do the spawning, shouldn't he also do spawning of
> > > civclient on demand, etc? I would stay consistent with the behaviour :-).
> >
> > Yes and no. Yes this would be nice. No, since the server currently doesn't
> > know any gui. But the user will want to select "Load game", "New game"
> > trough
> > a gui. And than the server has to have a gui.
> Hmm, well, I would rather stay with client as GUI for game control.  Too much
> complexity would be added otherwise - GUI frontends for server etc, ble.
> However, when I think about it, server should be still able to spawn civbot,
> either after use of aitoggle command or when civil war will rip someone's
> empire. Too bad, but I see no elegant solution for this.

> So it looks civclient will spawn civserver and civserver will spawn
> civbot.

Yes. It looks so.

        Raimar

--