[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Stewart Adcock <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:28:47 -0800

Good morning,

Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:07:06AM -0500, Justin Moore wrote:
>
>> - Borders
>>

> I got the impression the last patch I have seen didn't got the
> coastal city case right.
It got the coastal city case correct in the sense that it did what I had intended. Based on feedback that behaviour was modified.
(Obviously this ignores the non-iso plotting bug.)

Kevin Brown wrote:
> I was actually thinking more along the lines of things like the
> borders patch and the sound patch.
>
> There may be some architectural considerations that prevent them from
> being incorporated into CVS but no major change will ever satisfy
There are certianly no architectural considerations that prevent the borders patch being applied. It touches very little code. A more important consideration is that it is incomplete.

The patch was submitted in order to solicit for feedback regarding its behaviour. It potentially alters the gameplay - and you don't want to go and modify the gameplay without considering it carefully.

I am definitely in favour of a "stable" branch and a "development" branch. You can always throw away the development version when it gets messed up, and start again. It would allow more radical experimentation (scripting support jumps to mind) without being concerned with compatibility. Look at the current savegame format and code. Yuck. What a mess.

Additionally, freeciv gets slower with each release - hardly surprising as features get added. A "stable" branch would enable code optimisations without the worry of future expansion or flexibility.

Stewart.
Stewart Adcock   stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.stewart-adcock.co.uk
Dept. Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego
4234 Urey Hall, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0365 USA
lab: +1 858 534 0956 home: +1 858 453 2577