[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Safe paths for triremes etc. (PR#1007)

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Safe paths for triremes etc. (PR#1007)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 16:12:45 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> --- Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, you are going to run into all sorts of trouble ;)
>
> Oh Yes, most definately. Lots and lots of trouble, hence the request
> for
> help.

there are few places where MOVE_COST_RAILROAD is presumed to be equal to
0.  Come to think of it, why did I not change it in my patch?
I don't know.

> > No warmaps for air units.  It is extremely difficult to do warmap
> with
> > refueling points: if a fighter can reach a point (x,y) in 1st turn
> with 1
> > move left or in 2nd turn with 6 moves left, which one would you
> record
> > down in the warmap?
> >

> Can you send a seperate email talking about all the problems with air
> units?

there isn't much to say.
the problem is that to generate a good path for a plane you need to know
it's final destination, something which you don't know at the warmap
stage.

> What do you think of the radical idea I have of stealing the Civ 3
> approach?
> Aircraft have a range (squares they can move to, probably about 20
> squares in
> each direction). When you want to attack a unit, if the unit is in
> range
> of the aircraft, it goes and attacks and returns in the same turn. The
> aircraft
> is not mobile as such, it cannot go in pursuit of a unit outside of its
> range.

It is a good idea, and will make it possible to make warmaps (containing
air-bases only)

Best,
G.

P.S. What a silence on the freeciv-dev!