[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Safe paths for triremes etc. (PR#1007)

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Safe paths for triremes etc. (PR#1007)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:21:13 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> --- Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> +     * types of units and only one way to generate city's warmap. */
>      if (pcity && pcity == warmap.warcity)
>
> the above line can't be right. Probably should be just
>
> if (pcity == warmap.warcity)

no, it is right (and I didn't write it), it means "if pcity and
warmap.warcity are equal and not NULL"

> Name suggestions for
>
> else c = SINGLE_MOVE;
>
> c should be perhaps current_move_cost?

this is in find_a_direction which is one hell of variable naming.
when I understand it thoroughly, I will do something about the names.
but not now.

> For the below AI cheat
>
> if (pplayer->ai.control) return 1;
> +      square_iterate(x1, y1, 1, x2, y2) {
>

> Maybe a server option for setting whether the AI respects fog of war?

this is correct thinking.
it should be done (as part of palyer_ai struct, for example)
the only thing is that if not allowed to see under fog, AI will play even
weaker...
but this is a completely different project and if you want to do it I
will give you all possible assistance (like checking and testing and
discussing).

> if (punit) {
>      if (is_sailing_unit(punit)) {
> -      init_warmap(punit->x, punit->y, LAND_MOVING);
>        really_generate_warmap(pcity, punit, SEA_MOVING);
>      } else {
> -      init_warmap(punit->x, punit->y, SEA_MOVING);
>        really_generate_warmap(pcity, punit, LAND_MOVING);
>      }
>
> Is the above really true? Why the hell did we originally generate a
> land moving
> warmap for a sea unit?

this is not generating, it's cleaning up before generating.
it should not be neccessary, if for some reason it causes weird
behaviour, it is a bug.  I remember checking it by comparing savegames
for autogames, they were identical.

Thanks for looking at the diff,
G.