[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Minor translation patch for citydialog

To: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Minor translation patch for citydialog
From: "Pieter J. Kersten" <kersten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:26:51 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 04:13:10PM +0100, Pieter J. Kersten wrote:
> > >
> > > well, I read the help on the subject (which may not be accurate), and it
> > > says that the Oracle merely doubles the effect of temples, so it
> > > wouldn't act like a temple if there isn't one in the city.
> > >

> > So should it be mentioned in any place or not?
>
> it'll be mentioned in the "wonders" category, if this is actually your
> question...

Ok, I've made it dependent of the presence of a temple.

> > See my comment in the source on this hack. I think there remains some work
> > to do.
>
> see below.

[Snap]

> > +      bptr = end_of_strn(bptr, &nleft);
> > +      /* hack for eliminating gtk_set_line_wrap() -mck */
> > +      if (firsttime && faces > 1) {
> > +        /* sizeof("Wonders: ") */
> > +        /* This hack is a bitch, as the GTK interface uses a proportional
> > font
> > +         * which will clearly not line out nicely with spaces.
> > +         * Nevertheless, supposing it works as designed, it should use the
> > +         * translated string, so here it is. The trailing spaces are
> > obviously
> > +         * empirical and only reflect the original coding.
> > +         * TODO: change this to a method which does not suffer from font
> > +         *       characteristics.
> > +         * -pjk
> > +         */
> > +        int length = strlen(_("Wonders: "));
> > +        my_snprintf(bptr, nleft, "\n%*.*s     ", length, length, "");
>
> why the extra spaces after 's'? The point of this was to make the
> wonders line up after the linebreak, does this do that?

Nope, it only does in the English version. It is a possibility to
internationalize this string, however it should be commented in the pot
file. The current method of generating freeciv.pot does not support that
AFAIK.

> if this does work as advertised, the same thing,
>
>     int length = strlen(_("Buildings: "));
>     my_snprintf(bptr, nleft, "\n%*.*s     ", length, length, "");
>
> should go above in happiness_dialog_update_buildings(), and obviously
> the comment should be above instead. (I'm not sure how you'd put that
> stuff in a useful (code-cutting) loop... though)

Your wish is my command :-) See the attached, new patch.

> otherwise, looks ok.

Thanks

HTH,
--