[Freeciv-Dev] Re: building under cygwin

To: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: building under cygwin
From: James Wilson <fat_hot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 22:00:13 -0500

thanks, I will try some of these options out. I was in fact able to build the cvs HEAD against gtk 1.2, but there were some complications and I didn't want to get into them in my first message, thinking that maybe gtk 1.3 could be made to work, in which case 1.2 would be irrelevant. I will go back along that route with 1.12.0 and the patch and see what happens.

as for X11 on Windows, I am using XFree86 and Cygwin. the X11 win32 civclient binary distribution works like a charm. I found it a bit slower but much more stable than the "native" win32 binary (especially towards the end of a long game).

James

At 01:24 PM 11/3/01, you wrote:
James Wilson writes:
 > I'm just getting started playing around with building everything, please
 > forgive any stupidity. I'm trying to build the latest cvs sources under
 > cygwin 20011008 on Win98SE.
Building a gtk client from current cvs does not work.
The 1.12.0 binary is not built from the
original source. There is a patch for it in the same directory where
the binary is, but the patch does not apply to current cvs.

But you can build the windows client with a standard windows gui:

export CC="gcc -mno-cygwin"
./configure --enable-client=win32
make

If you want to see a binary first you can look at
http://home.t-online.de/home/akemnade/freeciv-win-cvs.zip

Gfx format:
The gui-win32 client uses a gfx format which is a bit strange:
the masks are saved in an extra file. eg. hires/terrain1-mask.bmp is
the mask from hires/terrain1.bmp
If you don't know how to convert the format, you can take the files
from the binary mentioned above.
When I'll find some time I'll debug the code for loading png files in
freeciv and enable it.

 > -- maybe this is a FAQ, but I didn't find the answer anywhere - how can
 > freeciv be built under cygwin against gtk1.3? configure is looking for
 > gtk-config, which doesn't exist in the gtk1.3 for win32 bundles found at
 > http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/new-downloads.html or
> http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html as far as I can see. can
 > I trick it into using pkg-config or something like that?
The trick is to create it yourself. You might steal some gtk-config
from linux and use it as a template. My imlib-config (which you also
need) gives the
following:
imlib-config --libs-gdk
-L/usr/local/win/lib -lgdk_imlib -L/usr/local/wingtk/lib -lgtk-1.3 -lgdk-1.3 -lgmodule-1.3 -lglib-1.3

 > -- I can build against Xaw no problem. it crashes periodically but that's
 > another story for another time.
You have X11 installed on windows? Then it is perhaps easier to use
normal unix (X11 based) gtk. AFAIK you can do the usual
./configure
make
make install
with it (and get a valid gtk-config). But the resulting freeciv client
will need X11.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade