[Freeciv-Dev] Re: commandline syntax and semantics (was: Server/ruleset

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: commandline syntax and semantics (was: Server/ruleset unification)
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 01:44:56 +0100

On 2001-10-29 00:35:33, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 11:39:08PM +0200, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Renaming would really be handy, for example, if you end up playing
> > > as Hitler by accident.  I've seen this happen.  I agree it can be
> > > confusing.
> >
> > I imagine this to be done as:
> >
> > > show players
> > 1: Napoleon
> > 2: Hitler
> > 3: Cleopatra
> > > show players[2].name
> > Hitler
> > > set players[2].name = Churchill
> > > show players[2].name
> > Churchill
> > > show players
> > 1: Napoleon
> > 2: Churchill
> > 3: Cleopatra
> >
> > I think this is sufficiently clearer that the bother of having to use a
> > number instead of the more easily seen name is outweighed...
>
> This would be an option, but I still think referring by name is convenient.
> Do you really want to forbid
>
>   /ai Napoleon
>
> and allow only
>
>   /ai players[5]
>
> ?

Well, I don't think it should be supported directly in the
"ruleset-language"... I think it's really too specific...

Actually, now that I think about it... How hard would it be to actually
use a subset of (or very heavily inspired by) sql syntax? That would solve
our problems nicely I think... I've kind of written that of earlier because
it might be overly complex but maybe it really wouldn't be that hard...
It certainly would have a lot of advantages, right?

The convenient syntax above should be specific for the command line
server (no need for this in a gui-server) and _implemented_ _using_ the
"ruleset-language"... So that /ai Napoleon could become:

update players set ai=not ai where name="Napoleon"

Server commands should not be part of the language but there should be a
server command that would take a "ruleset-language" statement as
argument and execute it...

This would give the best of all worlds, wouldn't it?
Do you think it's too much?

Some people had allready begun coding, right? How much has been done
really?

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)