[Freeciv-Dev] Re: extremely preliminary server command parsing

To: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: extremely preliminary server command parsing
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:34:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Justin Moore wrote:

> > I've written a program that sets up a data tree in responce to commands
> > like what's been discussed here.  It's incomplete and probably buggy, but
> > it's a start.  I haven't looked at integrating it into the server yet.
> >
> [ snip ]
> >
> > Unfortunately, it doesn't do a very good job of ignoring whitespace (yet),
> > but you can see the flexibility otherwise.
>
>    It seems we have several people working on the server upgrade and
> unification portions.  There's some overlap (like with various split
> functions), and it seems like there isn't too much peer review going on.

I see your point here, and the lack of review is a little
worrying.  Hopefully it's a temporary phenominon.  Duplication doesn't
look too bad, AFAICS it's limited to the too split functions, which are
pretty different.  I don't think I've duplicated any of your work here.

> Maybe I'm just frustrated because I've yet to get any serious feedback
> about the patches I put in for the server cleanup, and it would be nice if
> the people working in similar areas would help me out here.  I honestly
> think the server reorganization would make a lot of this much much easier,
> but it doesn't seem like anyone's too interested in actually commenting
> about it.  If there's no actual interest in this, fine, just let me know
> so I don't waste any more time fighting with the server code.
>
>    I know the patches are big, but 99% of them are just rearranging
> portions of code.  Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

I took a look at what you wrote, but I don't know the present server code
at all so I can barely follow the changes.  Judging by the readme, it
looks like a good idea and a much needed one.  Hopefully someone more
qualified can give some useful feedback.

As I write this, it occurs to me we may have a legacy code problem.  Is
there anyone currently active who really knows the present server
structure?  There doesn't seem to be for the AI, and pieces of the warmap
seem to be mired in speculation.  Of course, I could be totaly wrong about
this.

--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"