[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3's answer to smallpox

To: Lukasz Szelag <lszelag@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3's answer to smallpox
From: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:18:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Lukasz Szelag wrote:

> I think that the best way to force non-smallpox game is to set minimum
> distance between cities. FreeCiv supports it via ruleset but it would be
> cool to be able to specify it via server variables.

Hello Lukasz,

we made the same experience in our weekly LAN games. Citymindist
is realy the best solution. Simple to implement and a great enhancement
for play. Sadly most developers are no regulary players. They tend
to search for mor "scientific" solutions which "solves the real"
problem - but ignore the simple one that brings most fun in _game_.

On the freeciv 1.12.0 metaserver games is already a patch applied
that makes this changeable via server variable. Just connect to a
meta civserver and do "/explain citymindist".

I will submit the patch for CVS as well until sunday. However
with the experiences I made with this patch in the past, I wouldnt
be that sure that it gets applied.

Ingo

--

Karl-Ingo Friese