[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Add new START_TURN packet

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Add new START_TURN packet
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 05:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The general problem continue to exist:
> > >
> > > server         player1          player1's CMA      player2
> > >
> > >                - change tax
> > >                  rates
> > >  - global
> > >    city refresh
> > >                                - update to the
> > >                                  server (1)
> > >                                                    - move command
> > > which conquers the city (2) - (3)
> > >
> > > It now depends if (1) or (2) arrive before the other. The solution is
> > > that the CMA doesn't go BOOM if there is a difference between the
> > > calculated and the real state of the city.
> >
> > Yes, I think you have to go there. The agents must get somewhat
> > tolerant of whether their commands are fullfilled by the real
> > world (=server).

[snip]

Raimar, you seem to be making a lot of changes to the packet handling code. It
might be better to plan out exactly what information the CMA needs instead of
adding packets as you suddenly decide you need them.

It seems odd that no one has tried to use compression with the packet code
before. I suspect that with the CMA code it would pay some dividends. What do
you think?