[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sugg: Make the "select nation" use get_nation_name_plu

To: Sini Ruohomaa <s1071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sugg: Make the "select nation" use get_nation_name_plural?
From: Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 01:46:39 +0200

Hello!

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 06:10:38PM +0200, Sini Ruohomaa wrote:
> I think the nation-selector window should use "Singaporeans"
> instead of "Singaporean". That is, get_nation_name_plural instead of
> get_nation_name.
>   Using the plural
> 1) is at least as natural as using get_nation_name (which isn't really the
> nation name and I don't think it serves anyone to try to make it look like
> one any more than it does ;)) and
> 2) saves the poor Finnish translation team by not forcing us to come up
> with something in between a nationality attribute and a nationality name
> (which tend to look the same in English, you lucky things ;)) just to not
> look utterly silly in the startup window, see my earlier L10n rant for
> details.
>
> get_nation_name (1.12.0 current) gives:
> "Select nation and name:
> o Singaporean
> o Zulu
> o Israeli
> o Inca"
>
> Instead, using get_nation_name_plural would be closer to:
> "Select nation and name:
> o Singaporeans
> o Zulus
> o Israelis
> o Incas"
>
> I'd greatly appreciate it if someone fixed this for me. I don't do C
> and have no experience in submitting patches myself.
I have made a patch but I have no strong opinion that it should be
applied. You will need to convince the people that this is the way to
go.

bye
        michael
System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani@xxxxxxxxx
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart