[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Extended connect dialog (PR#977)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Extended connect dialog (PR#977)
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:15:19 +0200

 > Overall: very nice.
 >
 > Problems:
 >  - it starts the civserver from "/usr/local/bin/civserver" which is
 >  old. It should try to start "./ser" or "./server/civserver" first
Can easily be fixed.
 >  - it looks like the client doesn't catch the error message of the
 >  server that the server can't bind to the default port. This should
 >  disable the start-game button.
IMHO the client should not depend on the format of the server
output. But what about adding a SIGCHLD handler and disabling the
button if the server does not run?
 >  - I had to manually kill the civserver process. All sensible exits
 >  from the client (maybe not assert and abort but exit(0)) should popup
 >  a "Do you want to kill the server?" dialog.

I think all exits should kill the server without asking. Does it make
sense to let the server run with dead stdio? One aim of this patch was
to make freeciv usable for people who don't know the difference
between server and client.
What is the easiest solution to have the server killed on really *all*
exits of the client? Is there some solution without having thousands
of signal handlers installed and without platform independance
problems? Or is an atexit handler the only applicable solution?

 >  - after I press "end game" on the server window the main menu (the one
 >  containing new-game, load-game, join-game) reopenes. This should make
 >  the server window disabled.
 >  - can you add a "Quit game" button to the main menu?
Two simple issues.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade