[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Extended connect dialog (PR#977)

To: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Extended connect dialog (PR#977)
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:40:49 +0200

Arien Malec writes:
 > Could we also put on the TODO/wish list a place to set the tileset/isometric
 > view, or is this OT for this dialog? There seemed to be some interest out of
 > the Slashdot thread discussion to make the choice of tileset more
 > explicit/UIified.

Possibilities:
1. Add a "select tileset" button to the dialog
 - requires a tilespec_free_tiles function
 - no fast switching possible to see what tileset is your favourite

2. Add a "select tileset" button to the local options dialog
 + enables the user to switch tileset during a game.
 + save the setting using "Save Settings" menu makes the selection
   very comfortable
 - requires a tilespec_free_tiles function
 - side effects of changing NORMAL_TILE_WIDTH, UNIT_TILE_WIDTH, etc.
     (changing map_canvas_store_twidth, etc.)

3. Add a new dialog appearing only once (at start of the client)
 + very easy to implement
 - no fast switching possible to see what tileset is your favourite

I think this should be added later. I don't think we should produce a
big "now you can change everything using the gui" patch at
once. Nobody likes big patches. This issue can easily be splitted.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade