[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] MAPSTEP

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] MAPSTEP
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 02:50:38 -0400

That is one symptom of the sorts of problems you will run into.

But it would be a little naive to presume that one symptom covers
the whole gamut of things that might need to be considered here.

I would be happier if you looked at the GUI operations in more
detail and considered which ones were really dealing with gaming
coordinate concepts, and hence could be part of a general direction
system. And which ones were dealing with coordinates for other
objects like (sliding) windows, where the latter may NOT be
appropriate candidates for a generalized coordinate or direction
system.

The question for the core is settled, but the GUI needs a lot more
thought to get it right. And right may be a multiple solution.

Cheers,
RossW
=====