[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] CMA 1.0

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] CMA 1.0
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:35:06 +0200

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 07:06:01PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
>  --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ok finally I have found the time to put together a release of the
> > agents infrastructre, a README about agents and the citizen managment
> > agent.
>
> Compiles, runs, works.
>
> However it is
> 1. Hard to find which option do you actually want.

The agent is just a tool. You have to set the goal.

> 2. Options like "maximize production" do not care about other things:
> F/P/T = 2/4/3 while it could do 2/4/7.

Can you change in citizen_management_frontend_common.c from:
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[FOOD] = 0;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[SHIELD] = 0;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[TRADE] = 0;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[GOLD] = 0;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[LUXURY] = 0;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[SCIENCE] = 0;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[FOOD] = 1;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[SHIELD] = 1;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[TRADE] = 1;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[GOLD] = 1;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[LUXURY] = 1;
    cma_types[i].parameter.factor[SCIENCE] = 1;

> I would suggest having something like:
> "maximize production then food then trade"

> or even make three slide bars with weights for production, food and trade
> and maximize their weighted sum and that's it.

With high probability there will such a custom mode. However this mode
will have 2*6 sliders.

> > AFAIK the code is ready for inclusion but IMHO there should be a
> > discussion about the direction of the further development of
> > freeciv. I'm eager to get feedback about the idea of agents in
> > principle, about the idea of the CMA and any improvement (coding
> > style, performance) on the implementation of the CMA.
>
> As it is right now, I would not use it.  But very few changes would
> persuade me to change the opinion.
>
> Possible future improvement might include actualy maximizing long-term
> effects such as production.  I had a city which was about to get bigger.
> Asking the agent to maximize production I was getting 0/6/5.  Waiting for
> one turn to get another citizen and then maximizing production gives
> 2/7/6.  Much better, init?  But coding this might be a hard task.

IMHO this can and should be separated.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx