[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] CMA 1.0

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] CMA 1.0
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 19:06:01 +0100 (BST)

 --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok finally I have found the time to put together a release of the
> agents infrastructre, a README about agents and the citizen managment
> agent.

Compiles, runs, works.

However it is
1. Hard to find which option do you actually want.
2. Options like "maximize production" do not care about other things:
F/P/T = 2/4/3 while it could do 2/4/7.

I would suggest having something like:
"maximize production then food then trade"
or even make three slide bars with weights for production, food and trade
and maximize their weighted sum and that's it.

> AFAIK the code is ready for inclusion but IMHO there should be a
> discussion about the direction of the further development of
> freeciv. I'm eager to get feedback about the idea of agents in
> principle, about the idea of the CMA and any improvement (coding
> style, performance) on the implementation of the CMA.

As it is right now, I would not use it.  But very few changes would
persuade me to change the opinion.

Possible future improvement might include actualy maximizing long-term
effects such as production.  I had a city which was about to get bigger.
Asking the agent to maximize production I was getting 0/6/5.  Waiting for
one turn to get another citizen and then maximizing production gives
2/7/6.  Much better, init?  But coding this might be a hard task.

G.