[Freeciv-Dev] Re: roman.ruleset & french.ruleset patchs

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: roman.ruleset & french.ruleset patchs
From: mathieu <yeupou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:33:11 +0200

Le mer 19 sep 2001 à 17h08, Michael Stefaniuc a écrit :
> Hello!
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 03:40:03PM +0200, mathieu wrote:
> > > I got them. Problem is that I have no clue about this. I don't know
> if
> > > it is valid to use non 7bit ascii chars like in "Napoléon" nor do I
> > > know latin. I have to rely my judgment on the opinion of other
> > > people. So far nobody has commented.
> >
> > about the latin names of roman leaders, you can get any history book
> (made
> > by historians of course) about the period, you'll see theses names.
> It's
> > really better to use this names as we desire play as roman (and not as
> > other people seeing romans).
> The names are Ok.
>
> > About Napoléon, if you can't use non 7bit ascii chars with gettext, so
> > leave it without.
> gettext is 8bit clean and you would get "Napol\351on" as msgid.
> You have to write _("Napoléon") to mark it for gettext. And you need to
> mark it because in iso-latin-7 (Latin/Greek) the char 0351 (0xE9) is
> GREEK SMALL LETTER IOTA and not LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE.
>

> > Since software internationalized in french (as freeciv) have
> translation
> > with non 7bit ascii chars, we can suppose that it works fine.
> >
> > Also, are the names translated in po files ? If not, you must writing
> > Napoléon as we write it in french. If files are translated, you can put
> > Napoleon without "é" if you want.
> If you mark the names for gettext then they will appear in the po file
> after the next msmerge.
>
> I just checked the freeciv/data/nation/*.rulset and that are a lot of
> names (mostly) city names that use characters greater than 0xA0 without
> being marked for gettext. That means for all extended ASCII (excepting
> iso-latin-1 and iso-latin-15) the names are displayed wrong.
> I could make a patch to mark all this names for gettext but this will
> bloat the po files a little. And the translator has a problem to find a
> good replacement if his charset dosn't contain the offendet char.
> The best way would be to use unicode and we wouldn't have to care to
> "translate" the names.

This is not really what I was talking about.

About, é or other accentued chars, do what you thinks right.

My patch was about news cities, new leaders (because this cities and leader
are also important in history than others ones) and corrections about
cities name (as Argentoratum) and leaders names (as Julius Caesar).

mathieu.
(please, reply with my adress in to: field since I've not suscribe to
freeciv-dev - too much traffic for me)