[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 3 patches for use on public gameservers (fwd <- rp@xxx

To: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 3 patches for use on public gameservers (fwd <- rp@xxxxxxxxxx)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:58:26 +0200

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 08:00:12PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> At 10:06 AM 01/08/30 +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 07:21:09PM -0700, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> >
> >> The "maintainers" are certainly capable.  But everytime the patch has
> >> to be changed, things will break until its done.  I find that I have
> >> less and less time to do the things that I would wish for Freeciv, and
> >> I know Reinier is feeling the same way.
> >
> >I must add that I'd never expect the setting of a DEBUG variable to
> >affect the value of variables.  And the default should be to compile
> >with debugging off.
> >
> >--
> >Reinier
>
> The value in question is the hardcoded constant for the default MIN_TIMEOUT
> in the file game.h.
>
> The timeout variable is settable by the normal console commands within its
> valid range. This range includes the autogame test mode in development DEBUG
> versions.
>
> I agree the default should not be "danger" mode. I have tried to tell people
> this on several occasions, but the overwhelming reaction was "why?".

If the auto game stuff depends on DEBUG you have to compile with
debug. This is bad since a lot of debug messages are now generated
(function calls) and the last time I tried this (more than a year ago)
it slowed down the game.

I agree that the right way is to make this depending on the
cmdlevel. There is just no framework yet to describe the special value
of -1.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I do feel kind of sorry for Microsoft. Their attornies and marketing