[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.
From: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 09:57:39 -0700 (PDT)

> No. IMHO there should only be "(un)real" positions and
> "(un)normalized" positions. To test the normalizeness of a position it
> has to be real. Wrapped just codes too much of the topology into the
> name.

I very much agree with this.

To go back to Raimar's terminology of sets A, B & C:

I think we can agree that for a given topology in which C != A , if you apply a
"wrapping transformation" to a point in A/B to produce a point in C, you have
not thereby normalized it. You have applied an invalid transformation (even if
the topology supports normalization via wrapping transforms in other
dimensions). "Normal", "normalize", and "normalized" only exist for the valid
transformations under a given topology.

Arien