[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diff

To: David Weisgerber <tnt@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diff
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:45:39 +0100 (BST)

 --- David Weisgerber <tnt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hope this code works for you, I am not using diff this often. But I
> kept on the rules from freeciv-hackers...

There is rule number 10 in "How to contribute":
10.After generating the patch file, *read it*. Make sure it looks sane.

Your patch doesn't look very sane to me, there is so much garbage about
lines where nothing seems to have changed...  Please experiment with
--ignore-white-space (or something like this) options of diff.

May I also suggest that you take everything together: patch, soundspec
file, sounds and
1. Include README with step by step instructions on how to apply it
  (for your current patch I used the command
       patch -p1 -R < fix-sound-0.diff
   while being in freeciv directory) and what to change and how to
   recompile.
2. Pack everything tight.
3. Put it in freeciv/incoming.
4. Tell the list about it (and include README if you feel like it).

The least you can do though is to upload the sounds to freeciv/incoming.
When you were sending them to freeciv-dev, I deleted it straight away for
it was BIG.

> When adding to CVS please copy the soundspec file and the soundfiles to
> /data so the users have them when they want to fetch the CVS.

It's not up to me to decide, but I think your patch will require a lot of
work before geeting to CVS.

Please don't feel discouraged by my criticism, David.  I am eager to try
your patch when I have all the ingredients.

Best,
G.