[Freeciv-Dev] Re: inlining functions

To: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: inlining functions
From: Kevin Brown <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:41:32 -0700

Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tony Stuckey points out that "GCC doesn't do cross-procedural
> optimization, nor cross-source-file inlining of small functions", and so
> macros are better [1].  Again, I think this is a compiler issue.

Even if this is an issue, cross-source-file inlining is resolved by
doing

        static inline type name(args) {
        }

in the header files.

For the cases where we're concerned about cross-procedural
optimization (or lack thereof), it makes sense to test the inlined
function version against the macro version to see how much of a
difference it'll really make.

> Finally, I read about a GCC option, "-finline-functions", that will
> cause small functions to be inlined automatically.

Now *THAT* is cool.  Anyone want to do some profiling to test this
option's effectiveness on the Freeciv source?  :-)

--
Kevin Brown                                           kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    It's really hard to define what "unexpected behavior" means when you're
                       talking about Windows.