[Freeciv-Dev] Re: inlining functions

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: inlining functions
From: Kevin Brown <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 15:43:19 -0700

Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 09:41:32PM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
> > Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Tony Stuckey points out that "GCC doesn't do cross-procedural
> > > optimization, nor cross-source-file inlining of small functions", and so
> > > macros are better [1].  Again, I think this is a compiler issue.
> >
> > Even if this is an issue, cross-source-file inlining is resolved by
> > doing
> >
> >     static inline type name(args) {
> >     }
> >
> > in the header files.
>
> Which in my opinion are ugly.

More so than putting multiline macros in the very same header files???
At least the static inline functions won't have continuation marks at
the end of each line...

--
Kevin Brown                                           kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    It's really hard to define what "unexpected behavior" means when you're
                       talking about Windows.