[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:55:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:

> If we ever have to change this back (which I don't think we have to,
> until and unless we implement `isometric view' shapes), it's only
> going to take two minutes to change it back, anyway.

Why change it in the first place?

> > Also, most of the places these functions are used is inside
> > debugging assert calls.  There is no point in making those faster
> > since they are just for debugging.  So there is no good reason to
> > make it a macro in the first place.
>
> That's not true.  Compiling with assertions disabled is the exception
> rather than the norm, so most people would benefit from a speedup.

That's just stupid reasoning.  Stick macros in the debugging checks so they go
faster.  It would mess up profiling.  It bloats the compiled code because the
macro is larger than just a function call.  You shouldn't use a macro unless
there is a good reason not to use a function.  There is no good reason to use
a macro here.

> > I also don't think making normal no longer a subset of real makes
> > much sense.
>
> I haven't redefined anything; there is no evidence anywhere in the
> current sources that this has been given any thought at all.  In any
> case my point is that

Everyone but you seems to understand normal to mean the same thing.