Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Profiling Civserver again

To: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Profiling Civserver again
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:57:22 -0400

Attached is a copy of the mapgen changes I will post shortly
as part of 1.12.0.

The start of mapgen.c has a collection of basic map.h macros
that I was carefully keeping separate during the experimental
stage but which should be merged into map.h at some point.

Feel free to steal whatever ideas or code, but they are probably
pretty close to a lot of what you are talking about.

Note you can use static arrays and waste memory in map.h if you
don't like pre-computing things, or you can even set it up so
the arrays are defined only when you set some specific flag
done in one routine like map.c.

This may make some of the objections to Trent's solution more
palatable. I haven't really scrutinized and tested his current
offering, but I think that if you can make the header a more
obvious documentation of what is being done, then that type of
solution should be considered quite acceptable.

Trent should be made to document it clearly though so mo one
misconstrues what he has done and breaks it :-)

Cheers,
RossW

BTW: should you run the map generation as part of your testing
and have any comments, by all means pass them on.