Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Disbanding caravans and freight

To: Guy Smith <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Disbanding caravans and freight
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:35:07 -0400

Guy Smith (guy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a difference in the way CivII
> and FreeCiv handle the disbanding of caravan and freight units.  My
> recollection of CivII is that freight and caravan units are treated
> differently from all other units in that they return their FULL production
> cost when they are disbanded, as opposed to only half.

Civ2 manual p. 42:

  When you disband a unit in a city square, it contributes half of its
  production cost in shields to the city's current project.  This
  represents your ability to "retrain" old troops with new weapons, or
  to make al all-out effort to complete a city improvement or Wonder.
  Caravans and Freight units retain their special ability to add their
  /full/ production value to Wonders of the World when they enter a city
  which is producing one.

Civ2 manual p. 59:

  To rush a job without paying cash, you have two options.  Any Caravan
  or Freight unit can enter a city where a Wonder is under construction
  and deliver its goods specifically to the project by choosing the
  Help Build Wonder option when it arrives.  It contributes the unit cost
  in shields directly to the Resource Box.  Alternatively, any unit that
  disbands in a city contributes one-half its unit cost in shields to the
  current construction, whether it is a Wonder, an improvement, or another
  unit.  This represents the retraining of troops and redisbursement of
  their supplies.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |